Monday, May 2, 2011

More work on creating the level editor

After some technical difficulties with my workstation, I was able to get some work done on working the level editor in. Of course before working on that, I had to make sure the tile data gets consumed into the component design appropriately. It was weird working it in because for the longest it wasn't drawing correctly due to two factors. One factor being the offset for the tiles and the other was the origin for the tiles. I was so used to working the components with sprites that I forgot that tiles are usually drawn with the origin of 0,0 and not the center.

I got that squared away and at least started contemplating on how the level editor should look. I have used level editors before and the one I remember using the most was the Graal level editor. It was of course like mostly other tile based editors but then I started thinking back to Alec Holowka's video on the Monacle engine. I'm not sure if I want to take the complete idea of a path based background but it may suit my purposes due to the nature of the game. After I get the level editor in a working state, I will post some screen shots of it in use.

1 comment: